Tuesday, November 13, 2012

#9 - Run my second half marathon.

Well it's done. another 13.1 miles in the books. On Saturday, November 10th, I ran the Soldier Half Marathon on Fort Benning, GA. Here are 13.1 thoughts on the race.

1. I really do love to run. I've decided you either love or hate running. Lots of people hate running. There is no "happy medium." Encouraging tip - if you hate running, please find something you like that requires movement :)

2. Running partners rock. Seriously. I'm sure everyone thinks their running partner is the best, but Kate really is the best. Thanks!!



3. Training for a half marathon is ten times more difficult that just running the half marathon. Lots of blood, sweat, and tears on the fall line trace.

4. The scurry before a race makes me smile. I don't know why. Maybe you just have to see it to understand.

5. Pre-race ceremonies always get to me. Anticipation, I guess, but this one was extra special. Hearing the national anthem while standing where hundreds of soldiers have been overwhelmed my heart! So honored.

6. Back to the race... Running on Fort Benning is by far one of the best places to run. Our soldiers and their families sacrifice so much

7. Drill Sergeants make hills fun. Just trust me on this one.

8. The race was nice and flat. Lots of running company. Although I am not really a big fan of seeing the faster runners on their way back while I'm still running out... guess I'll learn to speed up or deal with it.

9. Speaking of speed. I do not like to run fast. Sometimes while I run, I think about running faster then I stop thinking.

10. Doing something a second time is always better than the first. Although I really loved the first half, this one was even better. Maybe my second full marathon will be better than my first. Once I finally get to a first...

11. Water stations rock. On that same note, volunteers rock. It's so awesome to see so many great volunteers out supporting and cheering us on. I walk water stations, so I like them even more for the break from running.

12. Back to running, I'm so thankful for the health to be able to run 13 miles. I am truly blessed.

13. Finish lines are awesome. I always enjoy the last mile of a run. I enjoy the last mile of a 2 mile run just as much as 13. There's just something about finishing your goal for the day that I love. Oh and it's always fun to smile for the finish line photo.

13.1 Moms and Husbands that support their crazy daughter and wife's running habits mean the world to me! Thanks to my mom and sweet husband for all their love and support. I love you guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment