Monday, April 1, 2013

Who are you foolin'?


Today's April Fools Day. Warning to all of those who work/live/interact with jokers :) A few years ago, Adam and I learned our lesson about playing April Fools jokes on people. I'd elaborate... but I'm protecting the innocent :)

But who are we really fooling (the other 364 days of the year)? We're fooling ourselves. Today I am asking you to expose those areas that are "fooling" you.

Have you ever wondered why you aren't loosing weight?
Do you look in the mirror and want to change but don't know where to start?
Have you hit a weight loss plateau?
(Wow that sounds like an infomercial for some great weight loss drug...)

Are you aware of what's causing this? Awareness is a really big step in overcoming problems, plateaus, and implementing change. Being aware of the pitfalls can help us design a plan that will correct specific issues.

So... How do you become aware? Here's one tool that can help in Awareness.
 
A food and fitness journal
 
If you are an avid journal writer and like the book form, you can purchase a food and fitness journal.
 
There are also lots of resources on the web for printable sheets to track.
Here are a few favorites:
 
 
There are also apps for it... There is an app for everything. 
When I tracked calories, I used my fitness pal.
I've also used calorie count. Both are great for recording food and exercise intake.
 
But if you don't want to purchase or do all of that, you can still track your food and exercise (the old fashion way - or with a twist)
 
You can use a normal notebook (or an app - I'll talk about this in a second) and use this guideline below.
 
Date -
 
Breakfast -
Snack -
Lunch -
Hunger Killer -
Dinner -
 
Fluids -
water -
Coffee/tea -
Milk -
other -
 
Workout -
 
How did I feel today? -
Anything noteworthy or different?
 
The focus of the journal is awareness. I (and you if you are tracking as well) am trying to become aware so I can make a plan to correct the pitfalls.
 
Starting today, I am using the above format to track my food and exercise. My only goal is tracking. We'll talk more about developing a plan later. I am using Evernote (it's a FREE app and really easy to use). I keep a note for each week. At the end of the month, I'll review and prepare for May (and maybe even share parts of my April journal with you).
 
 Food and fitness journals create awareness, so you won't let little "sabotagers" fool you anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment