Thursday, March 7, 2013

Run for God - Competing for the prize

I'm a competitive person. It's just in my nature (it's probably in most peoples "human" nature). Just last night, our community group had a game night instead of our usual Sunday sermon discussion. Since our community group is all couples, we split the couples into teams: Guys vs Gals... and played a really fun game.

Needless to say, the girls won. I would tell you the score, but I am going to protect innocent (and that's not very loving to gloat...) I really like the way this article describes competition. It's not bad in its on right, but given the circumstance and perspective, wouldn't love, sharing, cooperation, humility, praise, and joy for everyone be a much better option.

Just as in the story in Chapter 3, sometimes our competitive nature can get the best of us. In running, it's difficult not to compare ourselves to or compete with others. Isn't that why we have races? So we can earn the price at the end? The scripture says in 1 Corinthians 9:24

24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

I really like the way "The Message" version puts this passage:

24-25 You’ve all been to the stadium and seen the athletes race. Everyone runs; one wins. Run to win. All good athletes train hard. They do it for a gold medal that tarnishes and fades. You’re after one that’s gold eternally.

26-27 I don’t know about you, but I’m running hard for the finish line. I’m giving it everything I’ve got. No sloppy living for me! I’m staying alert and in top condition. I’m not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself.

It goes so much deeper than just getting a prize. It's about personal choices. Self discipline. Not competing/ comparing yourself with others.

 
 
So just as I discuss in Week 3's blog. It's important to Run Your Race. If you are giving your 100%, you don't need to worry about what everyone else is doing. The only prize you should be working toward is our eternal prize!

No comments:

Post a Comment