Friday, March 15, 2013

What's weighing you down? Part 2 - The mental workout

Here's the bottom line, to see results... You have to put in the work. You have to workout. How you workout, the intensity in which you work out, the workout you choose... is up to you... but the bottom line still exist. If you want to see the extra "yucky" off the body, you have to put in the effort to get it off.
 
You also have to limit what you put into your body. We'll talk more about nutrition and fuel for your body later, but today we are going to workout another part of the body... Our minds!
 
This image came from a blog here
 
Our minds are powerful. They control our thoughts and actions. Without getting your "brain" in the game, your body doesn't get the extra power to succeed. Every decision to move, to workout, to eat "healthy", to "stick to it", to endure... they all happen in our heads! So today we are going to focus on vision (or dream), goal setting, and positive thinking with actions.
 
Vision/Dreams
 
Where do you want to be? Who do you want to become? What are the big overlying themes about your journey to health?
 
Don't limit your vision. Dream big. Don't think about time frame, how you'll get there, how much work it will be. We'll take that on in goals.
 
Here's my vision - To be healthy - Physically, Mentally, and Spiritually, so that the work God has done in my life may encourage others to seek him and health in their own lives.
 
Now here's where the dream becomes reality...
 
Goals
 
I saw a pin on Pinterest that said, "goals are dreams with deadlines". That's pretty close to the truth. Goals go a little deeper than that thought. They serve as "action items" for our dreams. While our vision is our "mission impact" statement, goals allow us to break that mission down into specific achievable chunks. Goals are "SMART". Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time focused. Here's an example to break that down...
 
One of my goals is to run a marathon this year.
 
First I check to make sure my goal is in line with my vision - it fits my vision because it challenges me to be healthy in all 3 areas. I will have to trust in God to see me through months of training and endurance, and hopefully at the end, I will be able to share and encourage others to seek fitness through my example.
 
Second is this goal SMART?
Specific - run a marathon
Measurable - did I achieve it? yes or no?
Attainable - Can I reach this goal? yes I can with little goals on the way to it. Run 5k, 10k, half marathon, put in the training for the full marathon.
Relevant - Does it line up with my vision? Should I be doing this goal anyway? See above.
Timely - When am I going to achieve it? This year.
 
I have lots of goals. I love goals because they help to create a road map for my actions. I have 30 goals I want to achieve before age 30. You'll see that most if not all fall in line with my vision (but some are just for fun - it's good to just have fun sometimes!)
 
Finally - Positive thinking and action
 
Think positive. You can do it! Will it be tough sometimes? Probably so. I can't say that it won't be, but getting your mind to think through and push through with action will help you get one step closer to your goals and vision.
 
Learn to love you, learn to support you, be your biggest cheerleader. Reward yourself (and not with food) for accomplishing milestones and goals in your journey. Document your journey. Take pictures if your goal is to loose body fat or tone up. Seeing progress helps to encourage me.
 
While it can be encouraging to see others success stories, I can't say it enough. It's your race, your journey. Don't compare your goals and dreams to anyone else's. Focus on the positive in your life and focus on action! Take one step each day toward your goals and one day you will be sharing your success story with everyone!
 
Do you have a vision, goals, or action items to propell you? Please share them and we can encourage and help to hold you accountable! Happy Friday!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment