Monday, March 11, 2013

What's weighing you down? Part 1 - Throw away the scale!

Do any of you weigh yourself daily, or most days per week? Do you find your mood can be easily affected by the number staring back at you?

Well... STOP! Better yet, throw away the scale. Now if that sounds a little drastic, just hide it somewhere you are not tempted to step on it EVERY time you walk by it!

Today, I'm starting a little mini-series entitled "What's weighing you down?" In this series, we'll look at weight and examine its effect on us (and specifically its effect on our mind and emotion). For this motivational Monday, we are taking on the scale!


I probably couldn't say it better than the words written on the scale above. Why does this one little number affect us so much?

If you are on a fitness plan and eating healthy, you are probably trying to lose weight. Right? I would beg to differ... you're trying to lose FAT! So why should the amount you weigh matter? Wouldn't it be 10 times better if you stopped focusing on this number and focused on how you feel?

Now don't get me wrong, the scale can be a useful tool to gauge progress and to hold us accountable... but in moderation!! Our weight can fluctuate as much as 5 pounds in a day. Add to that the weight of clothes/shoes or your dog (child) in your arms. Ok well you get the picture. Weight should not be the only tool you use to manage your success.
 
You shouldn't lose weight fast either! Experts encourage a 1-2 pounds a week for weight loss (and even that can be too much for some). Crash diets and other diet fads will not produce long term results. A healthy lifestyle balanced with exercise, nutritious foods, stress management, and sleep will create an environment for a healthy, sustainable weight and body image.
 
So now that you are avoiding the scale, how should you measure?
 
Here are my suggestions:
  1. Stop comparing yourself to others! You'll probably see that all over my blog, but it is super important. You do not have the same body make up as the people around you (and why do you want so badly to look like someone else anyway? God made you unique for a reason!)
  2. Measure how you feel! Do you have more energy? Smile more? Happy? Then why do you need to see a number?
  3. Measure how your clothes fit. You could be slimming down in areas without ever seeing a change in the number on the scale. I tend to slim down on my hips and my pants always feel looser (now if I were to get on the scale - It might not have changed - then all that happiness of loose pants...right out the window)
  4. Focus on action. Focus on things that are in your control like being active, choosing activities that don't revolve around food, making healthy eating choices. Insure that your actions are in line with your goals.
  5. Choose mind over matter. Sometimes the way we look at ourselves in the mirror is all in our head. I know my husband reminds me of this multiple times a week when I stand in front of that mirror and dislike what I see. He always says, "Charity, I wish you could see yourself through my eyes." Gets me every time.
I'm going to go into more detail on the mental/emotional baggage that weighs us down, but for today, just focus on feeling better and not that little (or big) number staring at you from the device you're standing on. After all, it's beneath you!


2 comments:

  1. I love this... and needed it, too! I can already see signs of energy, looser clothing, and a BIG smile on my face, but the scales are not budging! Thank you for helping me see that I am not doing anything wrong... except for maybe focusing on those scales. Love you, Charity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job! Focus on these signs and not that scale! Keep up the good work!

      Delete