Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Two for One deal: checking off two 30 before 30 goals!

I checked two things off the 30 before 30 list this Saturday. Now while I'm no expert at one of them, I can do enough to say I've learned the technique!

Saturday, March 9th was my Mom's birthday. Couple of things here.

1. My mom is awesome. I'm sure most people think their Mom is awesome but mine is awesome squared. I really do love and cherish time with her. So I wanted to make sure she knew that even though I can get busy and overwhelmed with things, I will always make time for her. Happy Birthday, Mom.


2. I LOVE Birthdays. Seriously. I love them. I probably love birthdays more than holidays (well except for Easter and Christmas - but hey Christmas is a birthday :)) That special day is just for you, I want to make sure it is special!

I asked Mom what she wanted to do for her Birthday and I got the typical "I don't know Charity...anything you want." Great... That leaves the door wide open and created an opportunity for me to plan for something special... something that I thought would mean a lot to us both.

My Mom has always been a crafty person. Since I can remember, she has always had some craft project going. When I was growing up, she and I would do projects together. I loved that time with her. We've made potpourri jars, angels out of some weird type of cloth, kitchen towel angels, wreaths (lots of these), and so many more...

Now I didn't have a really good game plan for the day with Mom. I just knew we would do something crafty. She wanted me to bake her a checkerboard cake, so I did that. We had also planned to have chocolate covered fruit (which didn't really happen...)

 
Side note - this is the cake she wanted... Not really Charity's style... For future reference, I prefer yellow cake with butter cream frosting... No fancy decoration needed :)

As we discussed what we would do for the day, a sewing idea came up. Why don't we make something for the house? I had been contemplating putting curtains up in the living room but hadn't yet for fear it would make it too dark. We decided to give it a try it anyway.

 
Now I am by no means an expert at sewing after this project, but I can at least operate the machine and the curtains/pillows turned out pretty well. I really look forward to learning more about sewing. I feel like it is a skill that can always grow. Enjoy the photos! Craft day with mom + learn to sew. Done.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment