Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Run for God - Week 4 - Free to Run

 
 
Week 4 we watched an interview with Olympic Marathoner Ryan Hall. While Ryan had tons of great things to say, one of his favorite scriptures stood out to me more than anything else: Isaiah 40:31. Feel free to research Ryan Hall. He is an exceptional runner with a firm foundation in Christ, but for this blog I'm going to focus in on Isaiah 40:31.
 
Now I am by no means a theologian. I'm sure each person can give you a little different interpretation of the scriptures but I want to take this verse with focus on specific words and share with you what it means to me.
 
"but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength"
 
Hope - in other translations this word is wait or trust. I like Hope. (Side note - My mom liked it too... it's my middle name :)) Hope means I believe. I believe the Lord is near me, he knows me, he sees my strengths and weaknesses. Hope is my desire for him, and expectation that their is full life in him, a feeling that no matter what circumstances I face today, I trust the Lord to lead and guide me.
 
With this hope, comes renewing of strength. Renew means to refresh, revive, to bring to life. It's a fresh start. My weakness is shows his strength. His strength refreshes and revives me. He makes my life new again no matter what circumstances or sins that I have committed. I am renewed in him.
 
"They will soar on wings like eagles"
 
Eagles are large, powerful birds of prey. The eagle is one of our national symbols. "War Eagle" is the battle cry for my Alma Mater. They are at the top of the food chain. Once an eagle is "paired" (aka hitched/married) they remain together until one dies.
 
One of my favorite things about an Auburn football game (Especially last season because we were... well below average) is to watch the eagle released and to see it soar around the football stadium. The beauty and power of this creature soaring just makes me think of the beauty of God and all he creates. Because I hope in the Lord, I can soar with strength and power like an eagle. Soaring resembles freedom for me... No strings attached. No weight holding me down... no need to flap my wings... I'm just free to soar above all the pain, problems, circumstance of the world.
 
"They will run and not grow weary, They will walk and not be faint"
 
I'm reminded of this every time I am on a run. When it gets hard or I'm tired, I pray or praise God. When my mind gets off of me and on him, I immediately stand taller and feel stronger. Does that mean the run is easy? NO. Does it mean that with Christ I can do anything? YES. He is the strength. When I am weak, he is strong.
 
This section of the verse also reminds me that it doesn't matter if I run, walk, crawl, or even be still, I still need him. Our pace doesn't determine our need for him. We are free to run, walk, crawl or sit still because of him. We need him ALL the time!
 
If you are following along for the weekly workouts, Week 4's workout is 5 min warm up then
3 min run; 90 second walk; 5 min run; 2 min walk (repeat one more time) 5 min cool down and stretch.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment